Advantage of AJAX:
- It dramatically enhances the speed, performance, and utility of web applications.
- AJAX-enabled applications are always very user-friendly as it eliminates the page postback
- It greatly cuts down the traffic travels amidst the server and the client.
- It is very flexible and provides the facility to swap XML with JSON
- It uses HTTP Protocol for communication
- It can be debugged using browser add-ons like Firebug for Firefox.
- Ultra-fast response time.
- AJAX has the provision of object-oriented helper functions which enhances the user productivity
- It is data-driven rather than being page-driven.
Drawbacks of AJAX:
- AJAX-enabled apps are difficult to debug.
- Some screen reading technologies may not be able to read web apps which are AJAX-enabled.
- It is designed for one way communication and won’t be a good choice for two way communication.
- AJAX is not recognized by a majority of web-crawlers except Google.
- Although the dynamic interface is an add-on, it can sometimes interrupt the user interaction.
- AJAX pages which are created dynamically often do not register themselves in the browser history, therefore, making it impossible to go back by pressing the back button in the browser.